The "Süsterhus" of the Augustinian convent
This is where the "Süsterhus" (sisters' house) of the Augustinian convent was located. From 1478, this is where the Augustinian nuns from the Rampedahl monastery in Lemgo lived. They were part of a branch order that was founded in Holland in the 14th century.
In 1480 a convent of the "Süsterhus" was rebuilt. The Falkenhagen monastery had provided the land free of charge.
In 1481, the Bishop in Paderborn confirmed the convent and gave it the name of "Vallis benedictionis -beate Mariae virginis" (Segenstal of the Holy Virgin Mary).
The convent was situated by the town wall. The street name "Holland" still reminds us today of the Dutch origin of many nuns.
On 1 April 1491, Count Moritz of Pyrmont gave the sisters part of the Eschenbeke (Eschenbach) including the Teichstätte to build a fulling and oil mill.
During the Reformation the convent became impoverished and no more nuns joined the community. The last sister of the Augustinian convent was called Ilse Michaelis; she died in 1575.
From 1575 the Lutheran pastor Ludolf Henning lived in the
convent and from 1626 the Catholic priest Nußbaum, who, by order of the Bishop of Paderborn, returned the town of Lügde to Catholicism.
The convent buildings, having survived the major town fires, were completely destroyed during the last big fire in 1797.
In 1801 the vicarage, in 1829 the boys' school (demolished in 1982) and in 1899 the girls' school (demolished in 2005) were built on these premises.
After the death of Baroness von Scheele in 1905, the town of Lügde bought the dwelling and the courtyard building (at Mittlere Straße 22) as the new pastorate for the Catholic parish. The old pastorate at Vordere Straße 53 became the property of the town. In 1986 the building was completely refurbished. The upper floors were turned into flats and the ground floor into a post office. After the closure of the post office in 1999, some of the post office rooms became a doctor's surgery.